Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Science Experiment of the Week

For some reason my science experiment of the week website stopped sending me my experiments. That is ok. I am sure I just need to reregister. Who knows what the situation is. Maybe it was my computer telling me to get out my math book. How Math Works page 146 is where we are starting today. Gaige helped me with a spool some paper and a pencil, produce some Archimedian spirals. The instructions are on the book. That was Gaige's portion. It made it easier for the girls just to have to cut the spirals out.
Next, the spirals were cut out by the girls. They were hung from the ceiling by quilting thread. On was strategically placed over a hot lamp. The other was placed off to the side by itself. Eventually a third one was also placed by itself (Marley can't be left out of the fun of course). Which one do you think moved the most and why? The girls liked this, but Bret was upset because hers didn't really spiral much. It was stationary.


Last we finished off with this experiment. It is a take off of the spiral experiment. This experiment is not in the book. I just thought I could get similar results for the same reason. Two glasses with the same amount of water in them. The girls dropped two drops of dye in each. The one on the left was placed over heat from the stove for thirty seconds. The one on the right just sat on the counter. Clearly the left glass's dye is mixed well. The glass on the right, not so much. Most of the dye sank to the bottom. Why? Same reason.

No comments: