Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Bret's Story


So Bret, at 7 years old, and somewhere between 1st and 2nd grade (we don't do grades with the girls since they have never gone to school) doesn't read yet. Well she CAN read the basic three lettered words like pit, cap, met, and, the. When she decided to write a story yesterday, I became the secretary and she the author and illustrator. A school teacher or a homeschooler "teacher" might frown on me. How will she learn to read and write if you do it all for her?? Well that is not what was important here to me. If I told her to write the story herself it would not have gotten done. Her creative moment would turn into frustration and she would put it down as another thing she will not want to do again. My goal here was to inspire her love for creating stories. So for that I can write the short skit she had in her head.

No comments: