Sunday, September 9, 2012

I Am An Unschooler and so I Can Do Whatever I Want

So many things on my mind lately. So where even to start.

 My daughter had opportunity to meet up with a homeschooler recently. An unschooler. This isn't the first time she met her, and each time this girl tells her she hates her, berates her, and tries to shun her from activities. Luckily we only see her once or twice a year. But each time I hear the same thing. Also my other teen daughter agrees that this girl is just plain mean. She says she doesn't know what her problem is.

So this time, things were the same. The girl was just mean and rotten to her. My girl is bubbly sometimes to an extent that might be considered annoying to some people. She gets excited about things and her giddiness might be looked upon as not cool to some older kids. Maybe. And I don't even know if this is what the issue is, other than I know this has been something that has come up in her past. So anyway, the girl started her same behavior. And my daughter told me. I told her to stay away from the girl. The first night my two daughters happened to be staying awake with a bunch of kids until late into the night. Quite possibly they didn't get any sleep at all. Me? I was asleep, and I had dragged my 6 year old down with me in hopes of salvaging her mood for the next day of fun.

When I wake up, my daughter who is being bullied by this girl tells me that this girl slapped her and shoved her up against a wall because she didn't like something my daughter did or said or whatever. My daughter said she smacked this girl back and asked her what was her problem. It does seem that she causes most of her bullying trouble in the evenings when parents are suspiciously absent (due to appearantly needing sleep, go figure, lol.)

Put aside making this into any kind of a high horse who is wrong or who is right or is it ok to hit issue, for a moment. Or really put it aside for good. That isn't what this is about at all. What I am about to quote next is what this whole series of posts will be related to...

This girl tells my daughter..."I am not a homeschooler. I am an unschooler. So I can do whatever I want."

I am an unschooler so I can do whatever I want. This is the theme of my next series. If you have any comments on my writings at all good or bad advice or otherwise, please throw it out there on my blog or you can email me at melodiecoz@yahoo.com if commenting on the blog doesn't fit your needs.

No comments: