Wednesday, December 1, 2010

25 Cookies Til Christmas



Today's cookie is Potato Chip Cookies. My Gramma by Ollie passed away when I was very little. But I remember her potato chip cookies. My mom had the recipe but I think Gramma by Ollie omitted something when she gave the recipe over because it was not a successful recipe. I did find a recipe a few years back that was "barely comparable" at best. So we made those.

So here is the recipe that we used this year for our first "advent" cookie.



Preheat to 300. In bowl, cream 2 C. room temp butter and 1 C. sugar.



Slowly blend in 3-1/4 C. flour and 1 t. vanilla extract.



Gradually mix in 1-1/2 C. coarsly crushed potato chips. Stir gently.



Drop dough by well rounded tsp onto ungreased cookie sheets 2" apart. Lightly flatten with fork. Bake 15-20 min or until lightly brown and set. Cool on cookie sheet 5 min then remove to racks. When cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar. Yield 5 doz.

I remember these things about my Gramma By Ollie. Ollie (her dog) bit my sister. It was a mean little poodle. Once, my sister and I were over at her house and we misbehaved. She told us that God would punish us. A few minutes later there was a lightning strike outside that lit up the whole kitchen, and from a child's perspective it looked like the lightning came into the house. She said, "See? I told you he is watching you. He knows you are acting bad." I remember the fuzzy green wallpaper and the piano (I think it was an organ). I remember crocheted pillows on the couch. She always had magazines to a company called Leo's (or Leon's?) on her side tables that showcased kids dance outfits. I loved looking through them when we came over. I remember the room we slept in upstairs and looking around in the attic. I remember one of those doll lamps and her fold-in sewing machine table. Once she yelled at grampa (who btw used to let us get in line and punch his big belly) saying the only reason we liked him is because he gave us money. That is not a lot of memories. But I do remember her potato chip cookies:-)

Today's advent prayer passage is "Lord, make me an instrument of your peace". And so what does that mean to you? Letting God's peaceful energy flow through you and out to be shared with your world...

No comments: