Thursday, December 9, 2010

18 Cookies 'Til Christmas


So these last couple days I am cooking alone, listening to 93.3. I am listening to their nonstop Christmas music, putting the cookie groceries away a few minutes ago when I notice how much I LOVE Christmas music. I love it. I hum it when it is 10 degrees and I am outside walking Uma. The "ring ting tingling" sleigh bells, Rudolph going into history like the president, Jingle Bells and ho ho ho. When November hits I start thinking about getting out my Christmas CD's. My girls and I, we love to sing. Even if we are out of key, it doesn't matter. In Girl Scouts I make all my girls sing. Something about music just touches my soul.

What is it about Christmas for you? What makes you're heart stop for Christmas? We get so excited about decorating the house here. We love the Christmas bears and deer stuffed animals that decorate our tables. The day after Thanksgiving my girls are waking me up, begging me to bring up the boxes from the basement of Christmas stuff.

Why are there so many movies about how unhappy Christmas can be? For some people (you know who you are) the holidays are miserable. They are mean at the checkout lines. They are cranky at family gatherings. Hell-ooo... even Charlie Brown can make a crappy few branches into an inspiration. You can too!! I want to shake you and remind you about the music!

Ok maybe this is the wine talking. But probably not. Cookie pics on the way... Cherry Pecan Cookies from the Gooseberry Patch Cookie Book are today. My mom gave this book to me years ago. In fact she gave me a bunch of Gooseberry Patch cook books. Gooseberry is lots of fun! Check it out.

I will post the recipe while my cookie dough is cooling in the fridge. I will send the final product pic in a bit.

Cherry Pecan Cookies

Mix 1 c. shorting, 2 c. brown sugar, 2 eggs, 1/2 c. water, 3-1/2 c. flour, 1t. baking soda, 1 t. salt, 1-1/2 c. pecans, and 2 c. maraschino cherries, cut. Chill for at least one hour. Drop by teaspoon on cookie sheet. Bake 400 degrees for 8-10 min. Makes 8 dozen.

Same issue as yesterday. Without my girls I don't need EIGHT DOZEN cookies! That is insane. So I cut the recipe way down to 1/4. Which is not easy to do when the original recipe calls for 2 eggs. We will see how it turns out.

No comments: