Friday, March 13, 2009

Because we were in need of Spoons


We were out of spoons. I don't know if they were getting thrown in the garbage or if some day we will come across a little crevice in our house where our spoons and nail clippers and brushes are all being hidden by elves or what the deal is. I digress. We needed spoons. That is how this all started. We have needed spoons for a while. The thrift shop that I love and frequent most doesn't sell silver ware. They have everything else but no silver ware. The Goodwill I used to go to before we moved here had silver ware, but it was a half hour drive to get there. It seemed to be a waste of money to go half an hour out of my way to save a few bucks on silver ware. So one of the moms in Brenda's Girl Scout troop directed me to this thrift shop nearby that I didn't know about. I thought I would check it out and see if there were spoons there.

So we went. That was Tuesday. I remember because Bret was at her friend's house. Brenda didn't feel up to going to dance class, and we ended up going to the thrift shop instead. AND THEY HAD SPOONS!! I bought Where in the World Is Carmen SanDiego? the game because Marley lost the cards, and Bret loved that game.

I also bought this preschool Boggle Jr game where there are flash cards with simple three and four letter words alongside their picture. The object is to use the 8 letter dice to make the word before the timer goes out. Bret fell in love with the game and played it for a day. She then decided that she was a great speller and reader. We went to the library and checked out 4 basic reader books. She read each twice with my help. Then yesterday we went back to the library (she begged me throughout the day to get her there before it closed) and she checked out ten more, which she proudly told me this morning that she read them all. All she can talk about is how excited she is that she can read so well, and how she loves to read.

All this because we needed spoons...

No comments: