Sunday, January 24, 2010

Girl Scout Engineer Day at Miami University


Where were these kinds of things when I was younger?? They played games on calculators, measured friction and weight, learned to use Word, made paper, measured Alkaline levels of different liquids, learned about how concrete is made, checked out a bunch of different mechanical machines, and much much more. In the end Brenda and Karyn earned 4 science badges.

So when I first decided to sign Brenda up for Girl Scout Engineering day at Miami University, I asked Karyn's mother (Karyn is the other homeschooler in our troop) if she was interested in the program. Our troop was supposed to head to our COSI overnight the following weekend so I decided I would prefer not to take the whole troop two weekends in a row, but I wanted Brenda to have this as a school experience. So Carole and I took the hour trip to Miami University. It was a 10-5 day of activities. I wondered how they would keep the girls occupied THAT long, hold their attention. Well they DID. Brenda took so much back from there. The experience of being around all those college students who were putting the program together. I think this is the best program, (homeschool, girl Scouts, or otherwise) that I have taken her to.

Glad to have spent the time on that! Excited that next year Bret will be old enough to do it too.

I forgot my phone so I have no pics. They gave me a cd of pics in the form of video. I haven't figured out how to disect the pictures from there yet. Maybe pictures to follow soon.

No comments: