Saturday, July 25, 2009

Camp Whiporwill

This year, while Brenda's troop headed off to Camp Stonybrook for TAC (Troop Adventure Camp) I knew that Bret's troop would be less willing to take a plunge like that. Also being the younger troop, I was hesitant to take them all to camp like that without more parent supervision. Sooooo... I offered up Me and My Gal Camp at Camp Whiporwill. This camp offers a one night two day camp where mom comes with her daughter, they sleep in tents, and enjoy all camp has to offer together. As expected, I had two other girls sign up, only one ended up coming. We were at camp with lots of other Girl Scouts met a bunch new friends, even one girl that was from our old homeschooling troop that... well didn't work out for us.



Here are Bret and Eva playing in the dark of the tent with flashlights.



Bret got her first opportunity to participate in the Flag ceremony. This was a great experience. I am glad that we did this!



We went canoeing. I think Brenda was a bit jealous about this one. Bret handled the boat almost exclusively herself. I did help steer a bit. And we raced Eva up and down the small lake.



This is our Creek Hike. If I look a little muddy that is because at Camp Whiporwill the entire creek hike is a clay wall. This hike was such a blast!

The funny thing about Eva, when we first started the troop last year, Bret and Eva were like acid together. They didn't get along, but funny their personalities were so alike. Even their temperments were the same. By the end of the year, Eva is Bret's favorite girl in the troop. And too bad they have moved. I told them if they can't find a good troop in their new town, they can sign back up with us and do our activities with us. We would love to keep her.

So I chose Camp Whiporwill to see how it compares to Camp Stonybrook. Here goes...
Camp Whiporwill Good points... The latrines SOOOOO much better and less smelly. The pool warmer. The tents the same except we were right next to the swinging bridge which was cool!! Much way cooler creek with tons of clay wall. Canoe lake.

Camp Stonybrook Good Points... Ten foot diving board and bigger pool. Singing hill (I missed that compared with Camp Whiporwill's Singing Patio). Better and bigger dining hall. Plus Tank is there and I just love her.

Although it seems like Camp Whiporwill has MORE on the list, I think the things at Camp Stonybrook weigh heavier to me. Still I have more warm feelings toward Camp Stonybrook.

No comments: