Monday, June 25, 2012

Botany in the Summer

We have had a few opportunities this summer and spring to hang out in KY in our property while Bret gets work done over there. Lil Bret and I hike the trails and look for new interesting things.

 A 5 leaf clover!!! Wow I don't know if that is good luck or bad. The photo above this one is Bret and my example of both lichen AND a tree bending to reach the light (Auxins in action).
 I didn't know what these things were. they looked like angels sitting in the forest together. I thought they were a fungus. But nope. They are a flower. Indian Pipes to be exact... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monotropa_uniflora

This was such a cool find!!! Fiddle head. It is what is to become a fern. It is called a fiddle head because it looks like the top of a fiddle, essencially. We learned about it in Botany class this year.

No comments: