Wednesday, May 21, 2008

ASL


It is coming upon summer already. We have two classes left. We have spent the last two weeks learning (and reviewing) foods in sign language. Here they are following orders from their deaf teacher, Steve. He tells them the food and the color and they color the right food on their paper with the right color. That is to review both colors AND foods. Then we are off to the family room where I have a kitchen and restaurant prepared for the kids. The parents sit around at the Deaf Restaurant while the kids take orders, tell the kitchen what they want, the kitchen "cooks and prepares" the food and the servers serve the food to the "customers". They want to keep playing this game even when the class is over.


Well two weeks left. Steve really wants to get the kids to the zoo to review animals. It is a great field trip for the kids, plus review at the same time! The last class is the Sign-O party. It is like Bingo only with signs. And of course the end of the year party with food and fun.


I am revamping for next year. Steve and I have talked about some issues we both have. I am considering setting the classes up next year as private lessons with Steve as the teacher. My kids were not focused on the class very well. This is because their friends were here and they wanted to play. I would like to try them having special time with Steve to learn their signs. I got the idea because, Brenda, who is 8 and loves to sign won't even go to the classes anymore. She sits it out. Then after the class she comes to sit with Steve on her own and practices with him. This is what she needs. And also it takes a lot of work for me to set up these classes that are not working for my kids. I want a better way for them. I am considering a group every other week instead or once a month. The other parents may or may not be on board, but I need to do what is best for MY kids and myself. Going to school, myself, my time is precious. I don't want to focus MY energy on activities that don't work for my kids. So I am working on that right now.

No comments: