Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Back to Not School Time

As I sit here, I can hear the hum of kids heading to school on their first day. We live across the street from the local high school and diagnal from the elementary. So my street is a path of many back to the old school days.

I read an article years ago about how so many adults tend to make big purchases in the fall. Every year as children, through teens, and into their twentys, autumn was the time for change. Getting back to school, purchasing new books, school supplies, clothes, shoes, etc. Then they become adults and subconsciously make big purchases during back to school time without even noticing it.

Although our family is not going "back to school," fall IS by far the best time for lots of that shopping. Three years ago, Walmart had 70 sheet notebooks on sale for $.10. This year it is up to $.17. Still a great deal and best time to totally stock up on those things. My girls color with them in the car to keep themselves busy, we write in them as journals, schedules, and so much more. Of course that is just one of the MANY MANY deals you will find during this time. We purchase clothes just like the rest of  'em. We stock up on supplies. We buy the deals.



This year one of the stores had a deal on oil pastels. Crayola brand. All the girls (with emphasis on Marley) have been pastelling the heck out of my paper every since.

I wonder if I am creating the same pattern for my kids of fall spending that they might take on to their adulthood. We don't head back to school. But we know the other kids are. We can feel it in the air. Suddenly no one can play, they are all shopping with their moms, they are all getting to sleep early to prepare for the early mornings ahead.

My girls... they sleep in today.

No comments: