Tuesday, July 24, 2012

What is biggest??



Marley and I were playing with our counting blocks today, making towers and such. So I gave her a job, to put blocks in the boxes in this order: small, big, bigger, biggest. And here was her order. Green was small, white was big, red was bigger, and yellow was biggest.

Before you tell her that she is wrong... she wasn't looking at block size. She was looking at size from the perspective of which has more.

Many times we go through workbooks and answer questions, and we are wrong. Not because we are wrong. But instead because we were thinking about the question differently. In real life this is commended. In school learning, teaching, and knowledge should be standard. In real life nothing is.

I am so blessed to have an opportunity to notice these things throughout my day.

Marley said, "Come on, Mom, you are my teacher." We are playing with the blocks and workbooks again. I tell her 'she is her own teacher. And did I teach her to talk or walk? No she taught herself.'

So she told me, 'well you did get excited and try to get me to do it again after I did it.'

I tell her 'That is not a teacher. That is a cheerleader. I am your cheerleader.' :-)



No comments: