Monday, February 2, 2009

Is Kroger being left behind? What do YOU think?



Funny story. If you don't know we are getting ready to leave today for the big unschoolers winter waterpark gathering. We are all excited. My girls are in the bathroom washing and brushing and primping as we speak. Getting ready for the ride. Well that is a subtopic for what I want to talk about today. An interesting thing happened when I was at a supermarket yesterday getting the food for the trip. Usually I frequent Aldi as a favorite grocery store. So of course I am used to bringing my own bags and bagging my own groceries. When I am at Aldi and people complain that the line is too long, I smile, because I know we are all standing in that line to save a few bucks. And also come on man, you know darn well the lines are longer sometimes at Kroger!! You know they are. Why are you grumbling?? Anyway, I digress.

So I am at Kroger yesterday with my own bags and Kroger is a mad house. First of all it is Sunday. Plus it is the first Sunday of the month (I think this might have something to do with foodstamps.) PLUS it is superbowl Sunday. So right away I have three things working against me, but I plow through anyway. When I get to the cashier she is snotty with me and implies that I am not getting my things on the conveyer fast enough for her taste. I grumble, forgetting that I can choose to keep a happy mood inspite of my surroundings. She is either too busy or she doesn't like "something" about me. I won't go into details with this one, other than to say sometimes in the town I live in, discrimination and prejudice is spewed from all colors, shapes and sizes. So I get up there with my bags and put them by where the food will eventually be dumped after it is scanned. The bagger begins fumbling unsuccessfully, trying to figure out how to bag my groceries without his plastic bags. I ask multiple times for him to not fill a bag with lots of 2 liter pops or I will not be able to carry it. It will just be too heavy. He doesn't seem to understand. The cashier leaves her station to help the bagger open my bags in the cart and put the groceries in that way, in an attempt to help him find a better way. In the end she tells me that I don't have enough bags for all my groceries and I will need to put some of them in plastic bags. They do that and I leave. When I get to my car, I find one of MY BIG bags has only a couple bags of chips in it and is half full. I find another one of my big bags with only two boxes of cookies. AND all the groceries that they bagged in their plastic bags were DOUBLE BAGGED! Probably I didn't save a single plastic bag from being used by bringing my own bags. Could it be that Kroger is too BUSY to take the extra minute to bag my groceries with my bags? They don't CARE to save the extra garbage of those plastic bags I must throw away?? Aldi has figured it out. Whole foods does it with ease. Why are you being left behind Kroger?

1 comment:

piscesgrrl said...

Hi there, I hopped over here from the UWWG list! While at the conference, we left and went to Meijer's (sp?) grocery store down the road. I asked the check-out girl to stuff the bags full since I didn't have my reusable bags and we didn't want to make several trips to our hotel room. She was doing the same thing as your check-out person was - putting only two or three items in each plastic bag. i started re-bagging things right in front of her and put the now-empty extra bags back on the carousel thingie. As we readied to leave, she took those bags I'd replaced, wadded them up, and threw them in the garbage. The only reason I can think of is that I'd touched them. I.Couldn't.Believe.It. Madness.