Friday, November 7, 2008

Music Curriculum

I cleaned out a room in the basement a couple weeks ago and unearthed a bunch of old oboe reeds and reed-making tools from my college days. Bret asked me how to play them today. I haven't taken my oboe out for probably 13 or 14 years. (I know this because I quit college soon after Gaige was born.) So today I took out the oboe and Bret had a little fun with it. Still sounds like a sick duck, somewhat. Who knows what the neighbors think is going on in here. First the band and now this... Funny enough we have a clarinet, and I think my flute is still around somewhere, a saxophone of sorts as well. Maybe I will look for some more cheap instruments for the kids to play around with. I would like to have a trumpet or trombone. In the mean time I should be off to the store soon to buy clarinet and sax reeds. Oops Marley broke an oboe reed. Boy oh boy, just like the good ol days. I went through so many reeds, and those darned things weren't cheap 14 years ago. Ha ha ha.


After the Gathering Brenda begged her brothers to let her use their guitar hero. On first view, an ordinary person might say where is the music lesson in that? Well the music she is listening to on Guitar Hero is definitely music appreciation quality. Message in a Bottle, Shout at the Devil, Woman, Heart Shaped Box, etc. This is good classic music. Not classicAL perhaps, but who is to say that one kind of music is more important to learn than another.

No comments: