Wednesday, September 14, 2011

HOW TO: Make 5 Year Old Science for an unschooler


So we decided to make our yearly terrarium today. The container is from a foam abc kit. But you can use anything. Last year we made a "We-are-not-weeds" Garden on a plate so it doesn't even have to be a terrarium to succeed. The same basic plants were in our WANW Garden from last year. This just needs to be watered more often. So the bottom is a thick layer of rocks. This is where the water drains to. Next is a thicker layer of dirt from our REAL garden.

We only have a sidewalk and patio around our house. No grass. So my dirt in my pot garden (otherwise known as a container garden) is a combination of leaf mold, compost, and some dirt from the gardening department of any store.

Then we went for a walk. We always have moss collecting on our sidewalk because our gutters leak. So that is a bonus to leaky gutters for us. :-) We lined the container with moss and picked up a few "not"-weeds from a walk around the block. Planted them and wah-lah. (This of course is voila but I saw someone type wah-lah and thought it was really funny!)


On our way around the block, we came across a vacant house with a few peaches on the driveway. I looked up and there was a PEACH TREE! I didn't know PEACH TREES GROW AROUND HERE!!! So we came up with the brillian idea to plant some of the seeds and try to have a couple peach trees in our KY property. I googled HOW TO make a peach tree from pit, got a couple different ideas, shared the peaches I collected with all three girls while sharing my planting seed ideas.

And that is how my 5 year old unschooler got her science in for the day.

No comments: